Insights into Philippians 4:13

The following is the complete form of Chapter 11 of the current book I'm working on, entitled "Walking Through Trials Together: And How God is STILL Good"

This particular chapter is titled: "Insights into Philippians 4:13"

I grew up playing sports, primarily baseball and basketball.  Practically from birth, I either had a ball or a bat in my hand.  Sports were and still are a major part of my life.  I mention sports because they, particularly baseball, tie into the passage I would like to comment on in this chapter. 
When I was in high school, I was a relief pitcher and backup outfielder.  We had an amazing group of athletes on that team, three of which played Division I baseball and two of those three went pro.  Baseball had been a part of my life the longest when it came to sports and it is still a sport I enjoy and miss playing to this day. 
During my freshman year of high school, I wrote a Bible verse in my glove, that verse being the above Philippians 4:13.  This verse simply reads, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”  Most Christians have likely heard this verse multiple times in their lives and for some this is their favorite or “life” verse.  Countless athletes display this verse on their gear, accessories, and attire.  This verse is everywhere in the sports world.
Although this passage of Scripture is just as profitable and wonderful as any other verse in God’s Holy Word, it is among the most misunderstood and contextually misapplied verses in the whole of Scripture.  Before commenting on the passage, allow me to burst a bubble up front: This verse has nothing to do with winning a baseball game, having enough strength from God to overcome any trial in life if you just believe hard enough, nor acing your big test coming up in two weeks.  This verse goes much deeper and is much more meaningful than that.
The key to properly understanding and effectively applying Philippians 4:13 to our lives, particularly in times of trial and suffering, is to read a couple of verses before it in verse 11: “...for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.”  The key teaching in Philippians 4:13 is having contentment in all circumstances, whether good or bad.  Paul shares just after verse 11 that he knew what it was like to be both rich and poor.  “Everywhere and in all things” he had learned how to be “both full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.”  What was the source of this knowledge he had gained?  His faith and trust in Christ and who He is.  Therefore, Paul could confidently say, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
What does this mean for us?  What does this mean for Lindsie and I amid cerebral-palsy?  What does this mean for the parents who just lost their child due to an issue during pregnancy?  What does this mean for the wife whose husband was killed in Afghanistan?  What does this mean for the grandfather who lost his grandson to suicide?  What does this mean for the husband dying of cancer?  We can come up with a myriad of tragic scenarios here, but the point would remain the same: In every situation, both great and terrible, both blessed and cursed, both desirable and undesirable, all things can be endured, and contentment can be found by resting and trusting in Christ.
This is much easier said than done however, there is no substitute for knowing 100% where you or your loved one will end up if this trial happens to take away life.  Jesus guarantees those who repent of their sins and put their full faith and trust in Him for salvation that eternal life waits on the other side of physical death.  The only caveat is, He must know you as His child. 
Have you repented and put your trust in Jesus today?  It is through Him and Him alone that any of us can truly find contentment in this life of mountains and valleys, and it is ultimately through Him that we have a guaranteed home with God when we breathe our last breath here on earth.

Come what may, in Christ we know that our life is eternally secure.  Faith and hope in Christ alone – these are how we can be content in all things.  These very things are our source of strength.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From a Pastor's heart: Trying to understand God in loss...

Perspective - Psalm 39

What God says about depression....